Monday, July 14, 2014

Federal Tax Crimes: Who is really at risk for prosecution?

Federal Tax Crimes: Who is really at risk for prosecution?

http://ift.tt/1jrWUlc I found this article I wrote in 2008 that I think does a pretty decent job of explaining my paranoia of why there may be a criminal system, it is difficult to find a criminal justice system. My theory: Prosecuting authorities do NOT like prosecuting the real bad guys as (1) bad guys cheat and may intimidate witnesses, judges prosecutors, (2) bad guys also may have political muscle. In either case, a substantial chance of a lack conviction can lead to career stagnation. So who can blame prosecutors for responding to stimuli? This is not to say the prosecutors are cowardly or don't take on any tough cases, but a proposition that every prosecutor needs a diversified portfolio. One with very few hard cases and then rounded out with cases where a plea is a forgone conclusion. So then, a problem. Who has the best chance of being prosecuted? Good people who have a hard time cheating, stealing, killing etc. Like those who make mistakes on their taxes or Bank Secrecy forms. Since I wrote this article in I was able to pitch my paranoid theory to a TIGTA inspector who was at our office on other business. He nodded with 100% agreement. Which led me to come up with a new theory: Just because you are paranoid does not mean you are paranoid enough. It would also be nice if prosecutors could be judged on the how many actual bad guys are taken down for violations of malum in se laws, not by how many convictions they squeeze out of malum prohibitum defendants. http://www.irsmedic.com http://ift.tt/1mP1IjV Anthony Parent

No comments:

Post a Comment